After nine days of stellar entertainment, the National Arts Festival in Makhanda came to a close on Saturday 2 July with more than 20 artists receiving Standard Bank Ovation Awards. The awards were decided by a panel of 16 judges who watched and adjudicated shows at the festival.
STANDARD BANK OVATION AWARDS
Standard Bank Ovation Awards are given to productions on the National Arts Festival’s Fringe programme for being a cut above the rest, leaving a lasting impression and productions that are well received by audiences.
The Fringe programme is filled with shows that are independently produced and funded. This year’s panel of reviewers watched 128 shows in nine days.
Standard Bank Ovations Awards panel co-convenor Ranique Roberts said she adjudicated a performance that left her in tears.
“Not only was I moved by the performance, but also the heartfelt energy the patrons shared. Dancing and singing along, I looked around the room in admiration of how this performance had brought together every single person in the room, no matter their age, race or background. It was a full realisation that the arts are back!”
HOW THE WINNERS ARE REWARDED
Standard Bank Ovation Award recipients are awarded cash prizes for their exceptional work at the National Arts Festival.
Gold Standard Bank Ovation Award winners are given R7 000 while Silver winners receive R3 000. Bronze Standard Bank Ovation recipients are given R2 000 each.
FULL LIST OF WINNERS
GOLD STANDARD BANK OVATION AWARDS
- Spark in the Dark – ȋle
- Iphuphu L’Ka Biko – Malifezeke
- Gauteng DSRAC – Nakanjani
- Thapelo Tshitse Arts Development – Emsini
SILVER STANDARD BANK OVATION AWARDS
- Brendon Peel Entertainment – Impossible!
- Uloyiko Theatre and Projects – The Gulurahundi Genocide
- Asanda Mqiki – The Vocal Explosion (Amazing Grace)
- AFDA Johannesburg – Whistleblowers
- Fishnet Features – My Weight and Why I Carry It
- Rhodes University Drama Department – Matchbox
- The Outline – May I Have This Dance
- Gary Thomas –Moodship
- KG Mokgadi – NSFW – Not Safe for Woke
- North West Development Agency – Asinamali
BRONZE STANDARD BANK OVATION AWARDS
- Emfuleni Art Creatives – Kgetho
- Sikhuthali Oliver Bonga and Walter Strydom – Swaringana
- NWU Arts – We’re Back with Goosebumps A Capella
- Ezinyaweni Zam – I.N.C.O.K.O
- Stacey Van Schalkwyk – Fragments
- Andy Ndlazilwana – Intlombe
- Best of Both Concerts – Piano Classics
- Sonwa Sakuba Institute for the Performing Arts – Afrika Sings!
- Amandla Danca Teatro ZA – Nomapondo
- Wela Kapela Productions – Vincent
- Nombasa M Productions – Nombasa
BLUE STANDARD BANK OVATION AWARDS
- Walter Sisulu University Drama Society – Mamlambo
- Five Sided Records – Undead Generation
- BasicCity – Basiccity Band
- Wela Kapela Productions – The Story of Eva Cassidy
- The Eastern Cape Theatre Ensemble – Ghetto the Musical
- Yaaseen Barnes – Can’t-Centrate
- Mannini Nkata – Hiding in the Dark
- Oyi!Theatre, a Project of Theatre Arts – The Children’s Monologue
- Connecting Streams – The Cracked Vase
- Dalin Oliver – Stay at Home Comedian
- Kwantu Designs – Classical Dreams