The United States (US) mission in South Africa issued an alert about a possible terrorist attack in the country, on Wednesday afternoon, 26 October.
US EMBASSY SAYS THERE MAY BE A TERROR ATTACK IN SA THIS WEEKEND
The embassy said the US government received information that unnamed terrorists may be planning to carry out an attack in Sandton, Johannesburg on Saturday, 29 October.
The supposed attack is expected in an unspecified location in Sandton, according to the embassy. Large gatherings of people will be the target.
“There is no further information regarding the timing, method, or target of the potential attack,” read a statement.
The US has advised its staff to avoid crowds of people and other large gatherings in the greater Sandton area during the coming weekend of 29 to 30 October.
In an unrelated incident, the US embassy issued a travel warning to American citizens after a German tourist was shot and killed at the Numbi Gate outside Kruger National Park.
MORE ON THIS: US issues new TRAVEL WARNING for citizens visiting South Africa
- ‘Uncaring thieves’ cause the closure of community Labour Centre
- Community warned about armed robbers prowling in bogus taxi
- PowerBall dividends: 50 players win R14k – jackpot rolls over to R70m
- New UK PM Rishi Sunak says he will focus on ‘economic stability’
- Adidas immediately terminates Kanye partnership over antisemitism
There are no comments to display.