Three people died in fires in Gqeberha, Eastern Cape recently. The provincial police have opened two separate inquest dockets.
THREE DIE IN GQEBERHA FIRES
South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naidu said a 35-year-old woman and her 10-month-old daughter died in the first incident – a shack fire in Elijah Street, Walmer Location.
The police were alerted to the fire at 22:30 on Tuesday, 12 September. “The mother, Bukelwa Klaas and the child, Likhaya Klaas were asleep when the fire started. The cause of the fire is not yet known and SAPS Walmer are investigating an inquest,” said Naidu.
The second incident occurred at approximately 8:00 on Tuesday. A second-floor flat in Park Drive caught fire.
When the police arrived, they found the body of a 65-year-old woman in a bedroom. The cause of the blaze is unknown at this stage and the woman’s next of kin are yet to be informed. The Humewood station is investigating an inquest.
- Eskom implements Stage 4 load shedding after more units trip – schedules here
- Businesswoman calls police after car tailed her – five arrested for kidnapping conspiracy
- SAHPRA confirms second vaccine-linked death in SA
- Police rescue man accused of killing his wife from an angry mob
- Stolen vehicle of murdered Cape Town Magistrate recovered in Mitchells Plain
- SANDF says ‘Vaal President’ will face the law over birthday poster
There are no comments to display.