Officials in New York said Tuesday that a 2-year-old boy starved to death after his father passed away in their apartment. According to NBC News, officials found the bodies of 59-year-old David Conde Sr. and little David Conde Jr. on February 15.
The two were said to be staying in an apartment in Geneva. The Ontario County Sheriff‘s Department said in a statement that Conde Sr.’s death was caused by a “cardiovascular disease.” The toddler, on the other hand, accidentally died as a result of starvation, the sheriff’s department added.
“It is believed that Mr. Conde passed away first, and the child was not able to obtain any nourishment after his father passed,” the statement said.
The last time the two were seen alive was on January 22. Investigators also said they did not suspect any foul play in their deaths, adding that nothing also showed their apartment was broken into.
Police said Conde Sr.’s relatives asked them to conduct a welfare check after they said they had not been in contact with him for over a week, WHAM reported. Conde Jr. had been in the custody of his father not too long after his birth, Ontario County Sheriff’s Lt. David Cirencione told the Democrat & Chronicle after their bodies were found. He also said the mother of the toddler was apparently estranged at the time of his death.
An obituary for Conde Jr. described the minor as a “beautiful baby boy with curly locks, that had a determined smile and sweet disposition”, PEOPLE reported.
“Despite his medical condition at birth, he had recently learned to walk, following many surgeries and months of casts and rehabilitation,” his obituary added.