A 37-year-old man was arrested for the alleged murder of Shane Basson, 5, who was reported missing in the Northern Cape at the start of November.
37-YEAR-OLD MAN ARRESTED FOR SHANE’S MURDER
The five-year-old girl’s body was found in a field near Alheit, Kakamas on Monday, 21 November, said South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson Captain Nelis Pris.
The South African previously reported that Shane was last seen at 17:00 on 4 November in Alheit.
“Preliminary investigations indicate that the girl was allegedly murdered on 4 November 2022 during the afternoon,” said the police spokesperson.
Detectives from the Kakamas police station arrested the 37-year-old suspect at his home in Alheit at approximately 20:00 on Monday.
The suspect is expected to appear before the Kakamas Magistrate’s Court imminently on a charge of murder.
Meanwhile, the police’s investigation is continuing and a post-mortem will be conducted to determine the child’s cause of death.
- Masiphumelele fire: 1800 people affected by Z-section blaze
- Police trainee shot dead at SAPS academy
- Weather: Severe thunderstorms for Mpumalanga on Tuesday
- Weather: Severe thunderstorms for Gauteng on Tuesday afternoon
- Taxi strike: Suspects with ‘strong links to the taxi industry’ arrested with 13 petrol bombs
- Irishwoman’s ex-boyfriend also faces extradition over double murder