Jump to content
Afrii Diaspora Dialogue
  • An end to taxi wars? This ‘game-changing’ move could make streets safer

    An end to taxi wars? This ‘game-changing’ move could make streets safer

    MEC for Roads and Transport in Gauteng Jacob Mamabolo described the arbitration office, established to deal with taxi-related disputes, as a ‘game-changer’.

    Roads and Transport allocated R8.75 billion

    Mamabolo delivered his budget vote speech to the Gauteng provincial legislature. He informed the media about how the Roads and Transport department plans to use the R8.75 billion it had been allocated.

    Mamabolo made note of the ongoing taxi violence in Gauteng. The MEC says he is deeply worried about the ongoing violence adding that leaders are perpetuating violence against one another.

    “We are deeply worried about taxi violence. The message is still not getting home in the taxi industry. Leaders are still perpetuating violence against each other,” said Mamabolo.

    Taxi violence is a never-ending concern for Government

    In 2021, the Gauteng government announced its plans to create an arbitration office which would address disputes in the taxi industry. Mamabolo said the office would soon begin its work in dealing with said matters.

    He explained that the office will see hearings and adjudications regarding which taxis were allowed to use which road. 

    “We will create an arbitration office where, for the first time since a long time in the past, we will see hearings and adjudications on who was granted the right to use which road. That is going to be a game-changer,”

    said the MEC.

    EWN reports that disputes regarding routes used by taxis have been noted as a key factor behind ongoing violence within the industry.

    Minibus-taxi-in-SA.jpg.optimal.jpg
    The arbitration office will assist with taxi-related hearings and adjudications, according to Mamabolo. Photo: Max Hartzenberg / Flickr

    Life in prison! Two men get heavy sentences for KILLING KZN taxi bosses

    Two convicted hitmen have each been handed at least two life terms in prison for killing two taxi bosses in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN), the South African Police Service (SAPS) has said. Makhimba Buthelezi (33) and Thabani Ngwenya (36) were sentenced by the Pietermaritzburg High Court on Friday, 25 March 2022. The pair also received 14 years imprisonment for charges of attempted murder.

    In addition, Buthelezi was also sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for unlawful possession of firearms and two years for possession of ammunition.

    According to SAPS KZN, 47-year-old Mzokhona Dlame was at his Nongoma homestead when he was accosted by two armed men who then fired shots at him. Read the full story here.

    View the full article


    Khamisi
     Share

     Share


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.



    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About

Afrii-Diaspora Dialogue

A Platform for Dialogue for the African diaspora

A cultural and community website with a GO.A.L. to UpLift™, EmPower™ & UnIfy™ the many different peoples, histories, cultures and communities of the Afrikan Diaspora.

Main links

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Guidelines, Privacy Policy, Terms of Use