The trial of the five men accused of killing Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa has been postponed to 2 May 2023.
This is to grant the new legal counsel for accused 1 and 2 Sipho Ramosepele time to familiarise himself with the docket and other documents.
SENZO MEYIWA MURDER TRIAL POSTPONED
When the trial resumed at the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria on 14 November it was scheduled to sit until 2 December 2022.
On Monday, 21 November a new witness was expected to take to the stand however proceedings were delayed due to the arrival of the new legal counsel. Ramosepele introduced himself as legal representative for accused 1 and 2. Notably, none of the other legal counsel were aware of the new development.
Presiding Judge Tshifhiwa Maumela said because the case had already started, Ramosepele will have to be provided with transcripts of all proceedings from the beginning of the trial and he will also need time to look into the docket.
Maumela said the matter is postponed with an understanding that whoever is involved in it shall keep their diaries open as the trial will sit again from the 5th – 15th of June 2023.
Timothy Thobane confirmed that accused 1 and 2 are no longer his clients and that he will continue to represent accused 3 and 4 while Advocate Zandile Mshololo will still represent accused 5.
Senzo Meyiwa was shot dead on 26 October 2014 at the home of his girlfriend and singer Kelly Khumalo in Vosloorus, Gauteng in an alleged botched robbery.
Five men are on trial for the murder of the soccer star, Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya, Bongani Ntanzi, Mthobisi Prince Mncube, Mthokoziseni Maphisa and Sifisokuhle Nkani Ntuli. They face charges of premeditated murder, attempted murder, robbery with aggravated circumstances, possession of firearms without a licence and possession of ammunition. All the five men pleaded not guilty.
ALSO READ: WATCH LIVE: Senzo Meyiwa murder trial