Jump to content
Afrii Diaspora Dialogue
  • Calls for removal of ANC councillor accused of killing predecessor

    Calls for removal of ANC councillor accused of killing predecessor

    ANC councillor Mkhipheni Mzimuni Ngiba, accused of killing his predecessor Siyabonga Mkhize, will spend around one month in holding cells. After this, Ngiba will be able to apply for bail.

    Ngiba has been behind bars for a week and calls are mounting for his removal from office

    Calls are mounting for Ngiba to be removed. Ngiba has been in prison for nearly one week but his arrest had not been publicised. Over the weekend, news of Ngiba being behind bars was leaked. It was revealed that the senior ANC eThekwini member had been arrested for the alleged criminal offence.

    What happened to Mkhize?

    Just before the local government elections in October 2021, Mkhize was shot and killed. He was the ANC’s candidate in the ward. Mzukisi Nyanga, another ANC member, was also killed while two others were wounded.

    ALSO READ: Aunt and two men arrested after teen BEATEN to death

    Mkhize contested the election posthumously. This was due to the IEC’s time frame for declaring a vacancy. In February 2022, by-elections were held where Ngiba won and took office.

    Four arrests were made with regard to Mkhize’s murder

    Ngiba along with Nkosinathi Emanuel Nkosi, Mlomo Ngcobo and Sifiso Vincent Mlondo were arrested. The three co-accused are believed to be the hitmen who took MKhize’s life. 

    Spokesperson for Police Minister Bheki Cele, Lirandzu Themba revealed that Ngiba and the three co-accused have already appeared before a court. 

    “The National Political Cases Investigation Task Team conducted (an) investigation which led to the arrest of Nkosinathi Emmanuel Nkosi and Mlomo Ngcobo who were arrested and charged on May 22. The two accused appeared in the Durban Magistrate’s Court on May 23,”

    said Themba.
    Siyabonga-Mkhize.jpg.optimal.jpg
    ANC ward councillor candidate Siyabonga Mkhize was shot and killed in October 2021. Photo: @ThabisoGoba2 / Twitter

    ANC confirms the matter which has been remanded to 24 June

    Ngiba was arrested on 24 May and appeared before the Durban Magistrate’s Court on 25 May. On the day of Ngiba’s court appearance, Mlondo was arrested and charged. He appeared in court on 26 May.

    “All four accused were charged with conspiracy to commit murder, attempted murder, murder, possession of unlicensed firearm and ammunition. All accused have been remanded in custody. The matter has been remanded to June 24 for a formal bail application,”

    said Themba.

    Daily Maverick reported that the ANC in eThekwini confirmed on Monday, 30 May, that Ngiba had been arrested and charged with killing Mkhize.

    View the full article


    Khamisi
     Share

     Share


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.



    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About

Afrii-Diaspora Dialogue

A Platform for Dialogue for the African diaspora

A cultural and community website with a GO.A.L. to UpLift™ and EmPower™ the many different peoples, cultures, and communities of the Black and African diasporas.

Main links

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Guidelines, Privacy Policy, Terms of Use