The suspect accused of sending a bomb threat to Eskom Chief Operating Officer, Jan Oberholzer, appeared before the Witbank Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, 22 November.
ESKOM BOMB THREAT SUSPECT APPEARS IN COURT
The 27-year-old, Thapelo Mnisi, is accused of contravening sections of the Explosives Act, according to Eskom. He was granted bail and the matter was postponed to January 2023.
Mnisi’s arrest is related to a bomb threat sent to Oberholzer in May 2022. He was arrested in Vosman, Mpumalanga on Friday, 18 November, by the Hawks and private investigators from Bidvest Protea Coin.
As previously reported, the preliminary investigation found that the suspect used an unregistered SIM card to send the threat.
Advocate Karen Pillay, Eskom’s General Manager of Security, said a number of executives have been targeted in recent months.
“The targeting of Eskom executives and employees who are focused and hard at work during these difficult times is very disturbing. Such acts of criminality are malicious and Eskom takes them seriously,’ said Pillay.
- 37-year-old suspect arrested for the murder of missing five-year-old girl
- Masiphumelele fire: 1800 people affected by Z-section blaze
- Weather: Severe thunderstorms for Mpumalanga on Tuesday
- Weather: Severe thunderstorms for Gauteng on Tuesday afternoon
- Police trainee shot dead at SAPS academy
- Taxi strike: Suspects with ‘strong links to the taxi industry’ arrested with 13 petrol bombs