National power supplier, Eskom, says despite suspending load shedding, the power generation system remains vulnerable to breaking down.
Load shedding was suspended on Sunday, 7 August, due to increased generation capacity, lower demand and the recovery of emergency generation reserves. The company had been implementing Stage 2 and 4 power cuts as well as load reduction in parts of the country during the week.
ESKOM SYSTEM STILL VULNERABLE
Eskom said while it is able to suspend load shedding at this point, it is important to note that the generation system is still vulnerable to breakdowns and load shedding may be required.
“We therefore urge all South Africans to continue using electricity sparingly, especially during these uncertain times on the power system. Eskom will promptly communicate should a need arise,” it said.
SERVICES WITHDRAWN IN SIBANGWENI VILLAGE
Meanwhile, Eskom has withdrawn its services at Sibangweni village in the Eastern Cape after its officials faced “life threatening” incidents in the area.
The power supplier said it is unable to operate and conduct the necessary audits in the above area due to acts of intimidation and threats to Eskom employees.
An Eskom employee was reportedly followed, threatened at gunpoint by community members who demanded that the employee reconnects supply that he disconnected due to tempering on the metre. The matter was reported to the South African Police Service the employee escaped unharmed
Eskom explained that the decision to withdraw services was based on the need to protect the safety of its employees and its infrastructure and prevent costly electricity losses.
“We have a responsibility of doing routine work in areas struggling with energy losses. The criminal behaviour that was directed to our employee, coupled with energy losses that continue to happen in the area have been viewed as a business risk.
“We will be engaging with Nyandeni Local Municipality to find a lasting solution that will curb these seemingly increasing acts of intimidation and threats directed to Eskom employees.”Eskom
ALSO READ: Tembisa residents left powerless due to burned substation and Eskom
There are no comments to display.