Here are five things you need to know about the infamous Gupta family.
This comes as the arrests of two of the Gupta brothers were confirmed on Monday evening.
LET’S TAKE A LOOK AT FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
The justice department confirmed on Monday that the alleged masterminds behind state capture, mostly during Jacob Zuma’s tenure as president, the Gupta brothers, have finally been arrested in Dubai.
THEY FACE THE FOLLOWING CHARGES:
The brothers — Rajesh and Atul Gupta — face charges related to an R24.9m Nulane Investment fraud and money-laundering case.
The Guptas practically became household names after repeated exposés.
WHO ARE THE GUPTAS:
The Gupta family is a wealthy Indian-born family with business interests in South Africa, whose most notable members are brothers Ajay, Atul, and Rajesh “Tony” Gupta—as well as Atul’s nephews Varun, and US-based Ashish and Amol.
“The family owns a business empire spanning computer equipment, media, and mining. The family became synonymous with corruption in South Africa and has been sanctioned by multiple countries for their activities.”Report
WHERE DID THEY COME FROM:
According to a report by the Mail and Guardian Ajay, Atol and Rajesh Gupta came to South Africa from Saharanpur, India, sent by Shiv Kumar, their businessman father, to explore business opportunities in the country.
Atul was the first to arrive in 1993 and was later followed by his brothers. Rajesh was the last to arrive in 1997.
Soon after their arrival, they established Sahara Computers, named after their hometown.
THE WATERKLOOF AIR FORCE BASE SPECTACLE
When the politically connected Guptas landed a chartered jet carrying 200-odd wedding guests at Waterkloof Air Force Base, a national keypoint, without anyone seeming to know who had authorised the landing, political heavyweights who had long ignored the comfortable connections between the Guptas and the ruling elite were forced to examine the relationship in the light of day.
With their high-profile and politically-connected business interests, the family has earned the ire of many. As the storm of controversy around the family continues, we give you the lowdown on who’s who in the Guptas, and what their interests are.
WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THE BROTHERS?
The Gupta brothers:
Ajay Gupta – the older brother
Business position: Non-executive chairperson, Vusizwe Media
- He holds no financial stake in the family business
- As the head of the family he formulates their business strategies and controls the finances
- He was the last brother to arrive in South Africa – he still holds Indian citizenship
- He holds a Bachelor of Commerce degree from JV Jain Degree College in India
Atul Gupta – the middle brother
Business position: Managing director, Sahara Holdings, non-executive director, Comair, executive chairperson, TNA Media.
- He holds a Bachelor of Science degree from JV Jain Degree College in India
- He has been described as the “nuts-and-bolts” man when it comes to his role in the family business
- He is a South African citizen – he relinquished his Indian citizenship
- He is the brains behind Sahara Holdings
Rajesh (Tony) Gupta – the younger brother
Business position: Director, Mabengela, director, Islandsite Investments 255, director – Afripalm Horizons
- His brother Atul has described him as “very close friends” with Duduzane Zuma
- Together with Duduzane, they have a joint interest in Mabengela Investments, which is part of a consortium of black investors
- He is a South African citizen
- He has a Bachelor of Science degree from JV Jain Degree College in India