A four-year-old girl died after she touched a fence of a house with an alleged illegal connection in Gqerbha.
THE FOUR-YEAR-OLD GIRL TOUCHED A WIRE FENCE
According to police spokesperson Captain Andre Beetge the little girl, Qhamani Mange, was electrocuted when she touched a fence at the Vukani shack area in NU9, Motherwell.
“It is alleged that at about 11:30 on Monday, she was walking to a nearby shop when she touched a wire fence of one of the houses in the street.
“It is suspected that an illegal connection at that house was in contact with the fence.
“Unfortunately, little Qhamani Mange paid with her life after touching the fence.”Captain Andre Beetge
Little Qhamani died on Monday.
THE LITTLE GIRL DIED ON MONDAY
Beetge said police are investigating an inquest.
Earlier this year, a three-year-old girl was electrocuted while she and her sister were playing in the neighbours yard and she picked up an electrical wire of an illegal connection between neighbours.
THE LITTLE GIRL WAS ELECTROCUTED WHEN SHE PICKED UP A WIRE
Police spokesperson Captain Andre Beetge said this tragic event happened in March in Magxaki Street, Kwazakele, in Gqeberha.
“Khazima Dweni (3), and her sister were playing in the yard of their neighbors. She picked up an electrical wire (an illegal connection between neighbours) that was on the ground and was electrocuted in the process.”
Beetge said little Khazima was declared dead on the scene by emergency medical assistance.
SHE WAS DECLARED DEAD ON THE SCENE
Her family then disconnected the wire.
“It is with empathy that police attended the scene, and the SAPS wish to caution homeowners/tenants not to make illegal connections to municipal electricity supply grids on their own.
“This practice is dangerous not only to the persons making the connection but also to innocent persons such as this 3-year-old girl that passed away due to these unsafe, illegal connections,” Beetge said.
WHAT TO DO IF SOMEONE IS ELECTROCUTED
Here are seven ways to help someone who has been electrocuted:
- 1 Do not attempt to pull them from the electrical source with your bare hands. You may be electrocuted too.
- 2 Do not move someone who has been shocked unless they are still in danger of being shocked again.
- 3 Try to turn off the source of the electricity. If you can’t, remove the source of electricity from the person using a piece of insulating material, such as a length of wood.
- 4 Once you have removed the victim from the electrical source, check to see if the person is breathing and if they have a pulse.
- 5 If they show signs of shock, lie them down and, if possible, position the head slightly lower than the trunk with the legs elevated.
- 6 Don’t go near high-voltage wires until the power is turned off. Stay at least six metres away, farther if wires are jumping and sparking.
- 7 Call medical emergency services if the person has trouble breathing, loses consciousness, has seizures, muscle pain or numbness, or is feeling heart symptoms like a fast heartbeat.
ALSO READ: A 12-year-old boy and uncle electrocuted while picking avocados
There are no comments to display.