MMC for Public Safety in the City of Joburg David Tembe has assured that the search for missing Khayalethu Magadla is still ongoing.
“The search for young Khaya Magadla is still on going. We remain undeterred as a department,” he tweeted.
On Thursday, 30 June, Tembe went to Soweto to visit the six-year-old’s family.
“We are on our way to Soweto, Dlamini, to meet with the family of young Khaya Magadla. The 6 year old is believed to have fallen into a manhole a little over 2 weeks ago,” Tembe said.
City of Johannesburg Emergency Services left the search site after completing their bit of the operation.
CoJ EMS spokesperson Robert Mulaudzi told The South African that EMS completed the physical search up until the main plant, now what remained was for Johannesburg Water to monitor the waste treatment plant.
Khayalethu slipped and fell inside the manhole in Dlamini Park while playing with his friends on 12 June. Since then, all efforts to locate his body have yielded no results.
With hopes dwindling every day, Khayalethu’s family wishes for the rescuers to find a shoe or some of the clothes he was wearing if the body can’t be found.