Disaster Management teams in KwaZulu-Natal are on high alert following a level 4 weather warning issued for disruptive rain in parts of the province.
KZN DISASTER MANAGEMENT TEAMS READY
The MEC for Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Sipho Hlomuka, urged residents to exercise extreme caution.
“Residents are urged to exercise extreme caution following a weather advisory that indicates that a cut of the low-pressure system could bring light snowfall, freezing temperatures, and severe thunderstorms in parts of the country, including KZN, from Thursday going into the weekend.”
He said communities residing in low-lying areas could experience flooding due to the already saturated ground following the heavy rains experienced by the province in April.
“Disaster Management teams will continue to work closely with the South African Weather Service to alert communities should the cut-off low-pressure system result in a severe weather warning.”
LEVEL 5 WEATHER WARNING ISSUED FOR KZN
The SA Weather Services (SAWS) warned of roads and bridges flooding as well as poor driving conditions. Flooding of settlements and damage to property and infrastructure is also expected.
The level 4 weather warning is expected to come into effect on Saturday and is expected to last until midnight.
“Disruption due to sinkholes, mudslides, rockfalls, and soil erosion is possible. A major disruption of traffic flow is also possible due to roads being closed or flooded.”
The SAWS furthermore urged residents to stay indoors and off the roads if possible.
“Avoid crossing rivers and swollen streams where water is above your ankles.
“If trapped in a vehicle during a flood, abandon it and climb to higher ground.
“In buildings, move valuables to a safe place above the expected flood level. In rural areas, move livestock to higher grounds,” it said.
This comes barely a month after the deadly floods in the province.
PROVINCE STILL RECOVERING FROM LAST MONTH’S DEVASTATING FLOODS
The eThekwini Municipality’ said the total damage caused by the floods to city infrastructure is estimated at R3.8 billion, excluding human settlements.
It furthermore said a total of 390 fatalities had been confirmed so far, with a further 60 people still missing.
Mayor Mxolisi Kaunda said the City continues to support efforts to search for those who are missing.
“Currently, 84 places are being used as shelters to house 9442 displaced people. The City provides meals, food packs, blankets, hygiene packs, and nursing services, among others. In this, the City is supported by a number of partners.
“The City has been able to process the burial of 129 people through the Motsepe Foundation,” Kaunda said.
He furthermore said the City had made significant progress with repairing and reinstating damaged roads and stormwater infrastructure.
FATALITIES ARE 390 AND 60 OTHER PEOPLE ARE STILL MISSING
“The Department attended to 890 incidents of damaged infrastructure. The Department has repaired 241 roads in the North, 275 in the South, and 374 in the West.”
The floods resulted in the damage to 8000 formal and informal houses.
“Over 60 houses are currently being built in 9 wards, and temporary residential units are being constructed in Molweni, KwaMakhutha, and Inanda. These will soon be handed over to beneficiaries.”