Jump to content
Afrii Diaspora Dialogue
  • KZN Floods: Death toll has risen to 459, Qatar delivers aid

    KZN Floods: Death toll has risen to 459, Qatar delivers aid

    Last month KwaZulu-Natal was battered by torrential rains causing one of the most devastating floodings in over three decades. Now it has been learnt that more deaths were recorded across KZN after last week’s floods as Qatar delivers humanitarian aid.

    KZN STILL SUFFERING LOSSES FROM FLOODS

    Premier Sihle ZIkalala confirmed on Sunday that three people died during the latest floods that struck about six weeks after the disaster that wreaked havoc in KZN.

    This brings the combined death toll to 459 people, with 88 still reported missing.

    “Critical infrastructure like schools, bridges and roads were also destroyed with damage to public infrastructure currently standing at R25 billion whilst businesses incurred damage estimated at R7 billion. These costs exclude new ones emanating from the May floods,” says KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala.

    He added that some areas in KZN were transformed by the floods into inaccessible “islands”.

    “About 45 000 KZN residents are temporarily out of employment because their places of employment are temporarily not operational as they were affected by the floods,” he says.

    QATAR SENDS HUMANITARIAN AID IN A SHOW OF SOLIDARITY

    Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Minister Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, International Relations Minister Naledi Pandor, and Social Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu joined Zikalala at KZN’s King Shaka International Airport to receive the humanitarian aid.

    They were greeted by Qatar delegates led by Ambassador Tariq Ali Faraj and a cargo plane full of tents, clothing, blankets and ventilators.

    Zikalala says the aid is a testament to the importance of developing international relationships.

    “This friendship and this humanitarian aid softens the blow and warms the hearts of the people of KZN. As South Africans who were recently freed from the yoke of almost four centuries of dispossession and racial oppression, our consistent endeavour is to work for a better Africa and a better world,” says Zikalala.

    He added that although KZN is going through a difficult time, the government was committed to being the gateway to Africa.

    “We will rise from this. Our province remains open for business. We continue to invite investors to work with us to rebuild our province for a better future,” says KZN Premier Sihle Zikalala.

    READ MORE: Watch: Umdloti beachfront left in tatters after more KZN flood

    View the full article


    Khamisi
     Share

     Share


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.



    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About

Afrii-Diaspora Dialogue

A Platform for Dialogue for the African diaspora

A cultural and community website with a GO.A.L. to UpLift™ and EmPower™ the many different peoples, cultures, and communities of the Black and African diasporas.

Main links

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Guidelines, Privacy Policy, Terms of Use