The case regarding the truck driver involved in the horrific N2 Pongola crash has been postponed.
The N2 Pongola truck crash took the lives of 20 people
Sibusiso Siyaya’s truck collided with a scholar transport vehicle. Reports state that 20 people lost their lives in the crash.
A report by the Road Traffic Management Corporation cited the behaviour of the 28-year-old truck driver as the cause of the accident.
ALSO READ: KZN Premier announces interventions to improve road safety in Pongola
On Tuesday, 25 October, Siyaya appeared before the Pongola Magistrate’s Court in northern KwaZulu-Natal (KZN).
EWN reports that the proceedings were postponed for further investigations into the fatal September truck crash.
The matter was adjourned to 1 December for further investigations
ALSO READ: WATCH: Dashcam footage of the horrific N2 Pongola crash
Spoksperson for the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) in KZN Natasha Ramkisson-Kara said the matter was adjourned to 1 December 2022.
Ramkisson-Kara added that Siyaya is still in custody as he abandoned his application for bail.
“The matter appeared today (Tuesday) in the Pongola Magistrates Court. It was adjourned to 1 December 2022 for further investigations,”said Ramkisson-Kara.
ALSO READ: Pongola crash – Satawu says truck driver’s membership WILL be revoked
KZN Transport Department conducting check-ups on truck drivers
Previously, it was reported that the KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) Department of Transport has begun conducting check-ups on the conduct of truck drivers.
The truck drivers who will go through the check-ups are those who use some of the busy routes in the province. The Department said the decision was made to ease the pressure on the roads.
The news follows the horrific Pongola accident involving a truck and a bakkie that claimed the lives of 20 people. While the Pongola accident is one of many, it was the most devasting the province had seen.
KZN is known for having thousands of trucks that use its roads. Read the full story here.
There are no comments to display.