Jump to content
Afrii Diaspora Dialogue
  • Parkwood mob attack: Arrests made after killing of Abongile Mafalala

    Parkwood mob attack: Arrests made after killing of Abongile Mafalala

    The Cape Town police have identified the man brutally burnt to death in Parkwood, Cape Town on Tuesday as Abongile Mafalala. The 31-year-old was an innocent e-hailing driver.

    PARKWOOD MOB ATTACK SUSPECTS ARRESTED

    South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson Warrant Officer Joseph Swartbooi said the Grassy Park police are currently working on arresting those responsible for Mafalala’s murder.

    He was assaulted and set alight in Parkwood after fake news in social media posts claimed children were being kidnapped in the area.

    “A number of people have been brought in for questioning, and once they have been charged, they are due to make a court appearance in the Wynberg Magistrate’s court on a charge of murder,” said Swartbooi.

    Media reports suggest that six people have been arrested in connection with the Parkwood mob attack thus far with more expected.

    Grassy Park police station commander Dawood Laing told News24 that Malafala’s vehicle’s battery, subwoofer and other items, which were stolen before it was set alight, have since been recovered.

    As previously reported, according to the police, Malafala and two other men were driving in Parkwood in a Toyota Avanza when members of the community stopped the vehicle and set it alight. The two other men managed to escape and flee the scene.

    SPIKE IN KIDNAPPING FAKE NEWS

    On Wednesday, Warrant Officer Swartbooi told The South African that the attack bore no relevance to kidnapping or attempted kidnapping in the area and said community members were riled up by fake news on social media.

    On Thursday, the Western Cape police said it noted with concern various social media posts about kidnappings and abductions in the Cape Town metro and outlying areas.

    “It is on this basis, as a law enforcement agency, that we wish to caution social media users against posting of unverified information about kidnappings/abductions.

    “Since the launch of the National Child Protection week, the SAPS has observed false accounts of child kidnappings/abductions,” said Swartbooi.

    The police spokesperson said kidnapping is taken seriously by the service and all reported cases are investigated by experienced detectives.

    However, because of the nature of kidnapping cases the police need to be discreet when communicating the progress made in these cases.

    View the full article


    Khamisi
     Share

     Share


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.



    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About

Afrii-Diaspora Dialogue

A Platform for Dialogue for the African diaspora

A cultural and community website with a GO.A.L. to UpLift™ and EmPower™ the many different peoples, cultures, and communities of the Black and African diasporas.

Main links

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Guidelines, Privacy Policy, Terms of Use