The Cape Town police have arrested more suspects in connection with the brutal murder of Abongile Mafalala, 31, who was stoned, assaulted and set alight in Parkwood, Cape Town on Tuesday in a mob attack the authorities say was sparked by fake news on social media.
NINE HELD FOR PARKWOOD MOB ATTACK
South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson Warrant Officer Joseph Swartbooi told The South African that nine suspects have been arrested, on Friday night, 3 June.
The suspects face charges of murder and robbery with a weapon other than a firearm. The nine are expected to appear in the Wynberg Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 6 June.
The police said Mafalala was not linked to any kidnappings in the area as had been claimed in social media posts. The same allegations captioned the viral video clips that showed how the mob beat him with all sorts of weapons and set his Toyota Avanza alight.
On Thursday, the Western Cape police said it noted with concern various social media posts about kidnappings and abductions in the Cape Town metro and outlying areas.
“It is on this basis, as a law enforcement agency, that we wish to caution social media users against posting of unverified information about kidnappings/abductions.
“Since the launch of the National Child Protection week, the SAPS has observed false accounts of child kidnappings/abductions,” said Swartbooi.