An eight-year-old girl was killed in Qunu in the Eastern Cape on Tuesday evening, 15 November, in a hit-and-run. The driver fled the scene and remains at large.
EIGHT-YEAR-OLD GIRL KILLED IN HIT-AND-RUN – POLICE HUNT DRIVER
South African Police Service (SAPS) spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naidu said the incident occurred on the main road in Qunu early in the evening.
“It is alleged that at about 18:00, the child’s mother had sent her to fetch water from a communal tap when the accident took place. Luché Ruiters sustained head injuries and died at the scene,” said the police spokesperson.
The driver allegedly failed to stop and witnesses at the scene did not have enough time to take note of the license plate or vehicle model.
Detectives attached to the Bethelsdorp police station are on the hunt for the suspect and are turning to the public for help.
Qunu residents – or the public at large – are encouraged to contact the investigating officer at the Bethelsdorp station, Detective Lieutenant-Colonel Alan Stuurman, at 071-608-1641 or call the Crime Stop hotline at 08600-10111, if they have any information about the driver.
- As it happened: Imam Haron Inquest – Day 8
- R74 MILLION PowerBall PLUS winner is somewhere in Durban
- Imam Haron Inquest: Family lawyers say apartheid cop was an evasive witness
- PowerBall dividends: Check those tickets! We have a R74m winner
- Witbank jewellery store heist: Amaberete nab five after shootout
- Hawks: Two arrested for possession of tik worth R1.5 million