The Presidency released another statement about the criminal complaint brought against President Cyril Ramaphosa on Saturday, 4 June. The President said he cannot divulge more details about the allegations because of the possible investigation.
FRASER LAYS CRIMINAL CHARGE
Former spy boss Arthur Fraser said he laid criminal charges against Ramaphosa in a media statement on 1 June.
Fraser alleges that more than four million US dollars were stolen from Ramaphosa’s Phala Phala farm in Waterberg, Limpopo in February 2020.
The burglary was allegedly perpetrated by criminals who colluded with the President’s domestic worker.
Fraser accused Ramaphosa of concealing the crime from the South African Police Service (SAPS), defeating the ends of justice, kidnapping suspects, interrogating them on his property and bribery.
“The details of the charges and the supporting evidence, including photographs, bank accounts, video footage and names are contained in my statement filed with the Rosebank Police Station,” said Fraser, who is said to be a staunch supporter of former President Jacob Zuma.
RAMAPHOSA CONFIRMS ROBBERY
The next day, 2 June, the Presidency acknowledged Fraser’s statement and said it was baseless.
The Presidency confirmed that a robbery took place at Ramaphosa’s Limpopo farm on or about 9 February 2020. The money stolen was the proceeds from sale of game, said spokesperson Vincent Magwenya.
“The President was attending an African Union Summit in Addis Ababa at the time the incident occurred. On being advised of the robbery, President Ramaphosa reported the incident to the head of the Presidential Protection Unit of the South African Police Service for investigation,” added Magwenya.
Ramaphosa indicated that he is ready to cooperate with any law enforcement investigation into the matter.
On Saturday, 4 June, Ramaphosa said he acknowledges the public interest and concern over the criminal allegations made against him, however, he remains “firmly focused on the task of rebuilding the economy and the country” – he said something to that effect in the first statement as well.
Ramaphosa reaffirmed his willingness to cooperate with any police investigation and stated he was not involved in any criminal conduct.
“Due to the possible investigation, The Presidency will not be in a position to engage further on the detail of the matters, and urges that due process be allowed to take its course,” said Magwenya.
Magwenya added that Ramaphosa is committed to fighting corruption and helping law enforcement agencies improve their service and response to public needs.
“He looks forward to The Presidency Budget Vote speech, which will be an opportunity for him to update the nation on the key priorities he outlined in his State of the Nation Address,” concluded the spokesperson.
DA WRITES TO SARS, SARB
Earlier on Saturday, the official opposition, the Democratic Alliance (DA), said it would be writing to the Commissioner of the South African Revenue Service (SARS) and the South African Reserve Bank (SARB) in order to get to the bottom of the issue.
Opposition leader John Steenhuisen said he wants SARS to investigate whether the $4 million – Ramaphosa has not confirmed the amount – was declared and he wants SARB to determine whether the money was related to potential money laundering.
“The nation deserves to know the truth behind this transaction, and the DA will ensure that this matter does not become another ANC cover up,” said Steenhuisen.