Jump to content
Afrii Diaspora Dialogue
  • Services resume at Centurion Licensing centre after break-in [Update]

    Services resume at Centurion Licensing centre after break-in [Update]

    Residents can now breathe a sigh of relief as all services at the Centurion Licensing centre resume since some services were suspended last week. 

    The centre was broken into on Wednesday evening, 25 May.

    OPERATIONS RESUME AT LICESENING CENTRE

    Operations at the Centurion Licensing Centre have resumed with effect from Wednesday, 1st June 2022, after almost a week of closure due to a break-in.

    Some services that were suspended after the theft of 30 computers at the Centre have been reinstated, said the City of Tshwane’s spokesperson, Lindela Mashigo.

    Mashigo had, however, previously said a total of 35 computers were stolen during the break-in.

    “This means that customers can now look forward to full operations being rendered at the centre,”

    said Mashigo.

    Core services include the following:

    • Driving licence renewals
    • Registration and licencing of motor vehicles
    • Application and testing for driving licences
    • Application and testing for learner licences

    The City’s Department of Roads and Transport has since apologised for the inconvenience caused to the customers during the period when some of the core services had to be suspended.

    POLICE INVESTIGATING THE BREAK-IN

    Mashigo previously said the matter was reported to the South African Police Service who are busy with further investigations.

    The licensing centre, however, continued to render some services despite the break-in.

    Police spokesperson Captain Dave Miller confirmed that police are investigating a case of business breaking. 

    He said detectives and forensic teams are following up on all leads available.

    No arrests have been made.

    FORMER PRASA EMPLOYEE SENTENCED

    Meanwhile, the Minister of Transport Fikile Mbalula has welcomed the 12-year prison sentence imposed on a former employee at the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA).

    The Scottburgh Regional Court in KwaZulu-Natal found Sphiwe Mngadi guilty of cable theft, more than four years after he was caught in possession of copper cables worth R1 million. The court also found Mngadi guilty of tampering/destroying of essential infrastructure in the Mkhomazi area.

    PRASA says though the sentence is below the prescribed minimum sentence of 15 years’ imprisonment, it does send a strong message to some of our rogue employees who think they can continue stealing critical rail infrastructure unabated with no consequences.

    ALSO READ: Break-in at Centurion License Department – computers stolen

    View the full article


    Khamisi
     Share

     Share


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.



    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About

Afrii-Diaspora Dialogue

A Platform for Dialogue for the African diaspora

A cultural and community website with a GO.A.L. to UpLift™ and EmPower™ the many different peoples, cultures, and communities of the Black and African diasporas.

Main links

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Guidelines, Privacy Policy, Terms of Use