Gauteng Premier, David Makhura has revealed that suspects in the Emazulwini tavern shooting in Nomzamo Orlando East in Soweto have been traced to a SADC country.
Makhura held a media briefing in Johannesburg on Tuesday, 30 August on various issues in Gauteng.
NOMZAMO TAVERN SHOOTING SUSPECTS TRACED
During the briefing, Makhura revealed that the suspects have already left the country. He added that they are working with authorities in one of the SADC countries in order to trace the suspects.
The Premier added that it is clear there are organised, heavily armed criminals/syndicates perpetrating crimes in communities across Gauteng. “The South African police alone are not able to cope with these criminals,” he said.
“During the spate of shooting, thirty four people were killed while thirty two were injured. Police have arrested seventeen suspects in Katlehong, Alexandra, Tsakane and the Johannesburg CBD,” he added.
Interpol has also been reportedly roped in in order to start an extradition process.
BACKGROUND TO EMAZULWINI TAVERN INCIDENT
As previously reported, Gauteng Police Commissioner Lieutenant General Elias Mawela, said that primary investigations suggest that people were enjoying themselves in the tavern and suspects came in and just shot at the people randomly on 10 July 2022.
Mawela said that 23 people were injured and 12 were confirmed dead at the scene and 11 were rushed to hospital and two people died in hospital. The death toll increased to 16 a day later.
“People were enjoying themselves at the tavern and all of a sudden heard gunshots and others thought a shooting was happening outside. It is only when they realised that people were dropping dead when they pretended that they were also dead or injured and fell on the ground as well,” Mawela said.
The suspects reportedly escaped with a white quantum.
The Nomzamo tavern shooting followed another shocking incident where twenty one underage teenagers died at Enyobeni tavern in Scenery Park, East London.
During his visit to Nomzamo informal settlement, Police Minister Bheki Cele, revealed that scores of bullet cartridges were found at the scene, with AK-47 rifles clearly being used.