A jury of 25 domestic experts have delivered their verdicts on the 2022 Car of the Year for South Africa, after our local Guild of Mobility Journalists (SAGMJ) voted for the most reliable vehicle on the roads. And the winner is… The Toyota Corolla Cross!
SA’s Car of the Year for 2022 – do you agree?
The top prize completed a special hat-trick for the manufacturers, who also scooped gongs in the Compact Family and New-Energy categories of the competition. A full list of the prize winners was published by competition organisers earlier in the day.
- Compact Category: Toyota Urban Cruiser
- Compact Family Category: Toyota Corolla Cross
- Midsize Category: Mercedes-Benz C-Class
- Performance Category: Volkswagen Golf GTI
- New-Energy Category: Toyota Corolla Cross Hybrid
- Adventure SUV Category: Toyota Landcruiser 300
- Double Cab 4×4 Category: Nissan Navara
- The 2022 Car of the Year for South Africa: Toyota Corolla Cross
Why the TCC been named South Africa’s Car of the Year for 2022?
It’s spacious and comfortable interior, coupled with its high-performance levels and multiple safety features have put this vehicle at the very pinnacle of affordable motoring in South Africa.
Not only is it versatile enough to accommodate the whole family, but this model also leads the way on ‘green energy’, with its hybrid and electric motors also going down a storm. Here’s how the winner was unveiled:
SAGMJ celebrate ‘worthy winner’
Some of the SAGMJ representatives have welcomed the news, with one writer claiming this was indeed the ‘deserved winner’. Naresh Maharaj had been ‘raving’ about this particular model, and it would seem his enthusiasm was contagious across the panel.
- Lawrence Smith, the editor of Ride and Drive, also praised the car giants for their ‘stellar year’ in Mzansi
Toyota Corolla Cross is Car of the Year 22. Notable also that Toyota have a stellar year, winning categories for Urban Cruiser, Corolla Cross hybrid, Land Cruiser 300, Corolla Cross. @ToyotaSA#rideanddrive— Lawrence Smith (@lovingmotoring) June 6, 2022