The N3 highway will be intermittently fully closed on Tuesday, 21 June 2022 between the Camperdown and Lynnfield Park interchanges near Pietermaritzburg from 10h00 and 14h00.
The South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL) said the closure to allow for the increase in height of Eskom’s 88kW overhead power lines crossing the road.
WHY WILL THE N3 BE FULLY CLOSED ON TUESDAY?
SANRAL eastern region project engineer for pavement and materials, Corné Roux said the Road Traffic Inspectorate (RTI) will manage and monitor the diversion of traffic.
Roux added that light motor vehicle traffic will be diverted via the R103 at the N3 Northbound Camperdown (Exit 57) off-ramp when driving towards Pietermaritzburg and N3 Southbound Lynnfield Park (Exit 65) off-ramp when driving towards Durban.
“Heavy motor vehicles will be stacked on the N3 on both bounds between the Camperdown and Lynnfield Park Interchanges,” she said.
The road closures are scheduled to take place as follows:
- 10h00 to 10h30 – N3 closed and lower overhead electrical cables
- 10h30 to 10h50 – Reopen highway for heavy vehicles
- 10h50 to 11h20 – Close highway to string first conductor
- 11h20 to 11h40 – Reopen highway for heavy vehicles
- 11h40 to 12h10 – Close highway to string second conductor
- 12h10 to 12h30 – Reopen highway for heavy vehicles
- 12h30 to 13h00 – Close highway to string third conductor
- 13h00 to 13h20 – Reopen highway for heavy vehicles
- 13h20 to 13h50 – Close highway to complete stringing of earth cables
- 13h50 – Reopen N3 for all vehicles
SANRAL said motorists should expect substantial delays as the R103 is currently undergoing stop/go operation due to emergency repairs.
“The closure may need to be adjusted depending on weather conditions on the day. If that happens, a second notice with information of the new time will be issued.
“Motorists are urged to make use of alternative routes as directed, plan and adjust their route trips on time and adhere to speed limits.”SANRAL