Jump to content
Afrii Diaspora Dialogue
  • UPDATE: JMPD undercover cop’s alleged shooter hands himself over to police

    UPDATE: JMPD undercover cop’s alleged shooter hands himself over to police

    The man who allegedly shot and wounded a Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department (JMPD) undercover cop handed himself over to the Hillbrow police.

    The suspect fled to KwaZulu-Natal after he shot a JMPD undercover cop when he evaded a search.

    SUSPECT’S FAMILY WORKS WITH THE POLICE

    Following the shooting of a JMPD undercover officer in Hillbrow on Tuesday 17 May 2022, the Undercover Unit worked tirelessly searching for the suspect.

    “Negotiations with the suspect’s family were put in place into working hand in hand with the police for the apprehension of the suspect,”

    said JMPD spokesperson Xolani Fihla.

    He said the male suspect who had already fled the City of Johannesburg to KwaZulu-Natal eventually handed himself over at Hillbrow SAPS on Wednesday 18 May 2022.

    The suspect was charged with attempted murder and he will likely appear in court soon.

    FLEEING SUSPECT SHOOTS UNDERCOVER OFFICER

    Whilst conducting crime prevention patrols in Hillbrow JMPD IIOC undercover officers spotted eight suspicious males standing outside a building at Claim Street between Kotze and Esselen Streets.

    Fihla said officers activated the blue lights on their vehicle, tactically approached and requested to search the males.

    “Whilst conducting the search, one male ran away. Officers gave chase and whilst in pursuit the male shot at the officers,”

    said Fihla.

    An officer was shot and sustained injuries to his chest and hip.

    The JMPD Acting Chief, Thulani Khanyile and staff have since the shooting visited the officer at the Netcare Milpark Hospital. 

    The officer is set to be recovering well.

    GROUP ALLEGEDLY INVOLVED IN POLICE KILLINGS

    Meanwhile, five suspects believed to be behind police killings, several business robberies and cash-in-transit heists in the Eastern Cape appeared in the East London Regional Court on Wednesday.

    They are facing charges of robbery with aggravating circumstances, two counts of attempted murder and malicious injury to property. 

    The five, who are Fikile Msindwana (54), Camagu Zimela (47), Siphelo Mase (34), Siyabonga Mkhangeli (34) and Noveki Maqungeni (38), were arrested by East London based Hawks’ Serious Organised Crime Investigation on the same day they appeared in court.

    It is alleged that between 2018 and 2019, as a group, they were involved in several business robberies, police killings and cash-in-transit heists in the Eastern Cape. 

    All the suspects were remanded in custody.

    The matter was remanded to 1 July 2022 to finalise the investigations and hand over the copies of the dockets thus setting a trial date.

    ALSO READ: Undercover JMPD officer shot while in pursuit of a suspect

    View the full article


    Khamisi
     Share

     Share


    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.



    Guest
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About

Afrii-Diaspora Dialogue

A Platform for Dialogue for the African diaspora

A cultural and community website with a GO.A.L. to UpLift™ and EmPower™ the many different peoples, cultures, and communities of the Black and African diasporas.

Main links

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Guidelines, Privacy Policy, Terms of Use