Axe murderer Henri van Breda was transferred to a Gauteng facility in January following an attack in prison, allegedly by a member of a Number gang. And not because he wanted to be closer to his grandmother, as previously reported.
AXE MURDERER HENRI WAS ATTACKED BY A NUMBER GANG
Department of Correctional Services (DCS) spokesperson Sechaba Mphahlele denied this on Thursday, saying Henri submitted a request to be moved before the assault.
“His request to be moved was prior to this incident and therefore, insinuations that he was moved due to the assault incident are untrue. We can confirm that van Breda is continuing to serve his sentence in Gauteng and he is in good condition.”
Mphahlele said Henri submitted the request in September 2021 and according to their records, an assault incident involving Henri took place in October 2021.
HENRI WAS MOVED TO A GAUTENG PRISON
According to a report by Daily Maverick, Henri was relocated from Drakenstein Correctional Centre in Paarl to the Leeuwkop prison in Gauteng.
Mphahlele furthermore said Henri submitted the request to be moved to one of the Correctional Facilities in Gauteng to be closer to his family.
He is serving a life sentence after his conviction in May 2018 for the murders of his father Martin, mother Teresa, and brother Rudi.
HE ESCAPED SERIOUS INJURY DURING THE PREVIOUS ATTACK
And this is also not the first time that he has been attacked in prison.
In 2018 Henri escaped serious injury in the Pollsmoor Prison after an attack on a stairwell.
He was attacked by five inmates while making his way back to the hospital section of the Cape Town jail.
A prisoner ripped a metal condom dispenser from a wall and used it as a weapon to fend off five inmates who were attacking.
The attackers then turned on Van Breda for a second time, chasing him and his rescuer back to the hospital section, where they managed to slam a security door in their faces.