The South African Weather Service (SAWS) issued a Yellow Level 2 warning for thunderstorms in Gauteng on Tuesday, 22 November. The warning key indicates there is a high likelihood of minor weather impacts.
GAUTENG WEATHER WARNING
The weather warning is valid from 15:00 until 23:59 on Tuesday. Conditions over the southern parts of Gauteng are expected to favour severe thunderstorms.
“These storms may produce heavy downpours, large amounts of small hail and damaging winds,” said the weather service.
The affected municipalities in Gauteng include the West Rand, the City of Johannesburg, Sedibeng and Ekurhuleni.
The potential impacts of the weather include:
- Localised flooding of roads, low-lying areas and bridges.
- Difficult driving conditions and travel delays.
- Minor vehicle accidents due to reduced wet roads and reduced visibility.
- Localised damage to property and vehicles due to hail.
- Localised damage to settlements
- Falling trees.
- Localised structural damage due to strong damaging winds.
- Police trainee shot dead at SAPS academy
- Taxi strike: Suspects with ‘strong links to the taxi industry’ arrested with 13 petrol bombs
- Irishwoman’s ex-boyfriend also faces extradition over double murder
- Suspect arrested over bomb threat directed at Eskom’s Oberholzer
- Dulcie September assassination: Family to hear court decision in December
- How many zeros is that? Scientists introduce new measures for size
- Weather WARNINGS issued for several parts on TUESDAY