The South African Weather Service (SAWS) issued a Yellow Level 2 warning for thunderstorms in Mpumalanga on Tuesday, 22 November. The warning key indicates there is a high likelihood of minor weather impacts.
MPUMALANGA WEATHER WARNING
The weather warning is valid from 15:00 until 23:59 on Tuesday. Conditions over the southern parts of Mpumalanga are expected to favour severe thunderstorms.
The weather service said the expected thunderstorms may produce heavy downpours, large amounts of small hail and damaging winds. The affected district municipality is Gert Sibande.
The potential impacts of the thunderstorms include:
- Localised flooding of roads, low-lying areas and bridges.
- Difficult driving conditions and travel delays.
- Minor vehicle accidents due to reduced wet roads and reduced visibility.
- Localised damage to property and vehicles due to hail.
- Localised damage to settlements
- Falling trees.
- Localised structural damage due to strong damaging winds.
- Weather: Severe thunderstorms for Gauteng on Tuesday afternoon
- Police trainee shot dead at SAPS academy
- Taxi strike: Suspects with ‘strong links to the taxi industry’ arrested with 13 petrol bombs
- Irishwoman’s ex-boyfriend also faces extradition over double murder
- Suspect arrested over bomb threat directed at Eskom’s Oberholzer
- Dulcie September assassination: Family to hear court decision in December