The South African Weather Service (SAWS) issued a Yellow Level 2 warning for thunderstorms in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) on Tuesday, 22 November. The warning key indicates that the thunderstorms have a high likelihood of minor weather impacts.
THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR KZN
The weather warning is valid from 15:00 until 23:00 on Tuesday. Scattered showers and thundershowers are expected across KZN on Tuesday afternoon.
Some of the storms are expected to become severe over the central and western interior of the province.
“These storms are expected to be accompanied by heavy downpours that might result in localised flooding, strong gusty winds, hail and excessive lightning,” said the weather service.
The affected municipalities include Uthukela, Umgungundlovu, Umzinyathi, Amajuba, Umvoti, Nkandla, Zululand, Ulundi and parts of King Cetshwayo.
The potential impacts of the thunderstorms include:
- Heavy rain could lead to localised flooding of roads and low-lying bridges.
- Localised damage to infrastructure, settlements and vehicles.
- Injuries to livelihoods and livestock due to hail.
- Severe lightning could lead to localised fire incidents and injury to humans and livestock.
- Localised injuries due to flying debris.
- – Eskom bomb threat suspect granted bail
- – 37-year-old arrested for the murder of missing five-year-old girl
- – Masiphumelele fire: 1800 people affected by Z-section blaze
- – Weather: Severe thunderstorms for Mpumalanga on Tuesday
- – Weather: Severe thunderstorms for Gauteng on Tuesday afternoon
- – Police trainee shot dead at SAPS academy